Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Year in Nakseongdae

I came back to Seoul one week ago after three weeks in Europe. Dorothea will reach me with the girls in another week, so I am here alone, with a lot of time to explore Seoul. 

Yesterday, 22 Jan, was the first day of the Korean New Year. Somebody coming from Europe would imagine movement, fireworks, nicely adorned streets and many excited people around. Not at all like that! Most koreans simply remain at home, or go back to visit their family of origin.

In these days it is about -10, -15 degrees (Celsius). They say that these are the coldest weeks of the last 27 years!  But I cannot stay the all day at home, alone, so yesterday I have decided to explore my neighbourhood. It was quite amazing. All the streets were so empty, as I have never seen them. Here I post some photos.

The faculty house where the professors live. We have not been allowed to stay there. 



The street from our place to the center and to the market of Nakseongdae. 



Since few years they have been building a very long tunnel under the Gwanak-sun. This will completely change the traffic in the area, hopefully in better. The park where the SNU campus is will remain a park forever, which is quite nice.  



No one in the Nakseongdae park as well!




I come across this bifurcation almost every day, as it divides the way toward the center of Nakseongdae (left) to the one to Marlen's childcare (right). I have never seen it so desert.  



On the way there is an english school for children. It is called Gwanak Camp. 



Pinocchio is here!



Just after the Gwanak Camp one can enter in the park, where there are ancient tombs and statues. The graves are under the tumuli. These little ancient cemeteries are common, but very well hidden, all around the city. 





From the top of the cemetery one can see the suburb of Nakseongdae.



And from here one can walk uphill on the mountain, up to the Gwanak-sun.



And finally, when I thought that nobody was around, I found out that inside this huge green net there were a lot of people. Men playing golf. I mean, not really golf, just hitting a ball with a golf stick. It is something that many people like (?!) to do here. We are in Asia, things are different. You can click on the movie just to hear that, as not much is visible.  



A strange day, this korean new year...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment